Wednesday, 5 December 2012

Review: Nars Foreplay Orgasm Palette

I still can't help but snigger when I came across the name of this palette.  Immature? Yes.  But what can I say, smutty things make me laugh! Then again, given I'm on the brink of turning 30, maybe I should grow up a little. Ahem.

Presenting the Nars Foreplay Orgasm Palette which was inspired by the best selling Nars Orgasm blush, heavily featured on beauty blogs over the years as a widely flattering shade.





This Limited Edition palette features a larger pan of Orgasm with three additional shades which are variations of the hues that make up the signature 'Orgasm' shade - a matte rosy peach that is reminiscent of NARS Amour but slightly more sheer, a matte hot pink that resembles a toned down NARS Mata Hari, and a shimmery golden yellow highlighter.  Some have compared it to Albatross but I disagree with that comparison.  This highlighter is more on the yellow gold side whereas Albatross is a pearlescent ivory. For the record, I much prefer Albatross for a subtle ethereal glow.


I already own the full size Orgasm blush and I have noticed that the smaller version in this palette seems to have more visible shimmer particles in the pan.  However, the texture and colour pay-off remain the same.  The matte shades have really good pigmentation and you only need a very small amount to get the desired effect.  They are soft, silky and blend well into the skin without too much work.  The gold highlighter shade is quite full on so I only use that sparingly. It would work better as an eye shadow shade I think.


One gripe I do have is that the blush pans are slightly too small to be deemed practical given that most blush brushes are quite large in size.  This could end up creating a bit of a mess and cause cross contamination of the shades *recoils in horror*.



Something to bear in mind if you are thinking of buying this palette:

Just because the Orgasm shade suits your skin tone, doesn't mean the other shades in this palette will.  Yes, they make up the Orgasm shade but think about when you mix shades of paint.  You can combine red and blue and get purple. Purple might suit your colouring but red and blue might not.  See where I'm going with this? Orgasm is a mixture of all the shades in the palette.

This is a fun little palette but don't be blinded by the excitement of seeing an 'Orgasm' palette.  If you love the NARS Orgasm blush, I would suggest buying the full size version for £21 (or even two for £42) as this would be better value and more practical than spending £39.50 on a palette which features a version of Orgasm that's not quite up to par.

My overall verdict? It's a nice idea and it would be a good palette to take away on holiday to cover all your blush needs but I can't help but think that the larger version is better value for money.

Have you tried this palette? What were your thoughts?

5 comments:

  1. This is such a nice palette! <3 x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post, I was considering buying this palette online for myself-but now that im aware of the sizes of the pans I think i will just buy the full size versions!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I. Have never red such a good n honest review of this pallete. Love the. Way u write.I would love to buy it but too expensive it is... plus it's not even available in my country.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you get a spare mo, I read every single one and I love hearing from you guys! I will always try and answer any questions you leave :)